Last updated 31 May 2019
Freedom Hostels Group Pty Ltd ABN 81 141 716 967 and its subsidiaries and affiliates in Australia (collectively referred to as the Freedom Hostels Group) is committed to managing personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and in accordance with other applicable privacy laws.
- How personal information is collected
Freedom Hostels Group collects personal information when you:
- book accommodation
- contact us
- take part in surveys, events and competitions
- use our websites
- interact with us through social media or email
- sign up for loyalty programs, promotions or to receive marking material
- book our accommodation through third party websites, and
- make a request, complaint or are involved in an incident or dispute.
- What personal information is collected
Freedom Hostels Group collects the following personal information:
- name and contact information (address, email and telephone number) with supporting information such as photo identification details including passport details
- gender (to enable the provision of female-only dormitory accommodation)
- date of birth
- payment details
- identification details, such as your passport
- details of other people associated with a booking, and
- information relating to your use of internet connections available at our properties.
- How personal information is used
Freedom Hostels Group uses personal information to:
- confirm and remind you of your or your group’s reservations
- provide the services that you have requested
- record your interactions with us
- contact you by email, post, text message or telephone with relevant communications about our products and services (e.g. newsletters, promotions etc)
- personalise the services and communications we offer
- help, inform and improve the relevance of our online advertising and future product and service development
- analyse data so that we can better understand guests, and
- record any accidents or incidents that you may have been involved in or witnessed at one of our properties.
- Where personal information is processed
Personal information collected by Freedom Hostels Group may be stored by Freedom Hostels Group at a location owned or controlled by Freedom Hostels Group or at a location owned or controlled by a trusted third-party company which processes or holds personal information on our behalf.
- How long the information is stored for
We may retain selected information about guests whose conduct has been anti-social or breached our policies for the purpose of restricting those guests’ future use of our services or properties.
- How is the information kept safe
We implement a range of security measures (including appropriate technical and organisational measures) in the processing, storage and disclosure of information which you have given us. This protects personal information from misuse, interference or loss and unauthorised access or modification.
Our security procedures mean that we need to confirm your identity before we are able to discuss your booking. We may also need to confirm you identify before discussing other queries.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) is in operation at our properties and you may be recorded when you visit them. We use CCTV in order to help protect the premises and our guests, employees and visitors.
CCTV footage will be viewed regularly by management for your safety. CCTV footage may be shared with authorities when necessary in the investigation of suspected unlawful activity.
- Disclosing information to other organisations
Freedom Hostels Group may use trusted third parties to process personal information on our behalf. When we do this we ensure that appropriate data privacy contracts are in place.
We will only transfer your personal information on the understanding that the third party has undertaken to us that they have in place adequate technical and organisational measures to protect that information.
We may release your information to the police or other authorities where we are under a legal obligation to do so.
We may engage with trusted third parties to analyse data about our guests, supporters and website users in order to provide us with greater insight into customer and supporter behaviour for the purpose of informing future developments.
We may also provide anonymous statistics to reputable third parties for the purpose of analysis. These statistics will not include any personally identifying information.
- Internet usage and cookies
Freedom Hostels Group offers guests internet access within the premises. By using this internet access guests consent to us collecting certain information about their internet usage. These statistics and logs may be preserved indefinitely and used to assess guests’ internet usage. Any security breaches or unauthorised or illegal use of the internet will be actioned and information may be shared with law enforcement if necessary.
- Your rights
You may, at any time:
- ask us what information we hold about you and what we are doing with it
- request copies of the information we hold about you
- ask us to correct your information if it is inaccurate
- request that we delete your information
- ask us to change the way we process your information
- object to our processing of your information, or
- change how we communicate with you.
You will need to make your request in writing and you will be required to prove your identity before your request can be actioned.
If you want to unsubscribe from emails, you will find an unsubscribe link on the footer of our emails.
- How to get in touch